Oil & Gas
From drill bit to burner tip, we got you covered.
Representing oilfield interests from Pennsylvania to the Permian Basin, our oil and gas team offers a diverse range of skills and services designed to help our clients maximize their business opportunities, minimize their risks, and reach their strategic objectives. Our attorneys have direct, hands-on experience in the industry as inside and outside counsel. We have completed billions of dollars in Appalachian Basin asset acquisitions, Permian, DJ and Williston Basin midstream deals, and helped to finance thousands of miles of pipelines and processing facilities along the way.
We can assist with every facet of due diligence, from drafting and issuing title defects, to addressing title curative matters, to gauging production assets and liabilities. We likewise can place experienced attorneys in the data room on short notice. Our oil and gas trial team has decades of experience in dispute resolution, including environmental, landowner, lease, royalty, operator, and midstream disputes. Finally, our team is steep with operational knowledge, and we regularly handle refinery and oilfield catastrophes and contractual claims, along with title-related claims.
Oil & Gas Contacts
Extract maximum value from your legal representation.
- Represented a $200 million acquisition of a natural gas sales and transportation business.
- Represented a $150 million divestiture of a natural gas trading business.
- Represented seller in the divestiture of Marcellus assets in $250 million asset sale, including advising seller on curative matters and title disputes.
- Represented oil field services company in acquisition of truck fleet and divestiture of water treatment facilities.
- Represented private equity investor in partial acquisition of well-bore interests as collateral for financing development.
- Assisted midstream operator in securing additional credit facility.
- Managed due diligence review and closings for acquisition of oil and gas assets in Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia for major U.S. exploration and production companies.
- Represented upstream oil and gas producers in divestures of non-operating interests in oil and gas leases in Ohio and Pennsylvania.
- Regularly represent borrowers and lenders in asset-based financing transactions and borrow base redeterminations.
- Represented a Fortune 50 gasoline wholesaler and its affiliated retail entity in a decade-long price gouging lawsuit and related antitrust lawsuit in Kentucky stemming from price increases following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Litigated dispute between interstate pipeline operator and pipe manufacturer concerning alleged defective delivery of pipeline; recovered multi-million-dollar settlement on behalf of pipeline operator.
- Defense and prosecution of lien, payment and performance claims arising from construction of interstate transmission lines for multiple clients. Total at issue in all such matters to date, approximately, $400 million.
- Defending against EPC contractor claims and prosecuting claims against designer related to expansion of midstream facilities. Very complex matters dealing with design errors and omissions, local regulatory requirements, and lost profits due to delayed commissioning. Total at issue $75 million.
- Prosecution of claims and liens on 5-train LNG facility in the gulf coast.
- Prosecution and defense of claims related to oil refinery new construction and maintenance construction.
- Prosecution of claims and close out of EPC contracts on renewable energy facilities.
- Prosecution and defense of claims related to power plant new construction and maintenance construction.
- Represented midstream oil and gas company in litigation stemming from the deficient design and construction of processing, gathering, and fractionation facility (Butler County, PA).
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company in landowner class action and against related breach of contract claims (Mercer County, PA).
- Represented multiple upstream oil and gas producers in claims involving Ohio’s Marketable Title and Dormant Mineral Acts.
- Represented pipeline owner/right-of-way grantee against former surface owner’s claim that pipeline owner was obligated to reimburse for post-production costs even though surface owner sold property and did not reserve right under right-of-way agreement (i.e., no standing).
- Represented partial fee mineral owner against the Ohio Public Works Commission’s claims that property owner’s conveyance and the subsequent development of property violated the Clean Ohio Program requirements and must be unwound (and property owner must pay penalty).
- Defended pipeline owner against coal company’s claims of coal sterilization and right to “mouth of mine” value of coal (i.e., without deducting for costs of production).
- Defended refinery against claim of personal injury resulting from allegedly faulty asphalt tank filling equipment.
- Defended refinery against neighboring landowner’s claim that it had an easement by necessity due to the lack of access to public roadways nearby.
Explore articles, press releases, and recent examples of our work.
Browne v. Artex Oil Part II: No Production Reports? No Problem.
July 16, 2021 | Publications
 In what should be the final chapter of a lease-busting lawsuit  that started in 2014, the Fif...
SCOTUS: Pipeline’s Eminent Domain Trumps Sovereign Immunity Claims
July 9, 2021 | Publications
On June 29, 2021, the Supreme Court issued a significant decision for companies that hold a certific...
Pennsylvania DEP Official: Regulation of Utility-Scale Solar Projects in Pennsylvania is a Local Mat...
June 23, 2021 | Publications
At a virtual Solar Energy Symposium hosted by Penn State’s Center for Agriculture and Shale Law on...
Kentucky PSC Chairman Comments on Solar Development Siting Issues
May 18, 2021 | Publications
Kentucky Public Service Commission Chairman Michael Schmitt provided some very candid commentary abo...
Gilbert Sanchez v. Smart Fabricators – Fifth Circuit Redefines “Seaman” Status
May 18, 2021 | Publications
In a potentially significant ruling for the offshore oil and gas industry, the United States Court o...
Kentucky DOR Provides Guidance for Taxation of Solar Energy Equipment
April 30, 2021 | Blogs
While the development of solar and alternative energy continues to grow in the United States, with i...