Results through empowered advocacy.
Our Energy team offers the full array of transactional, regulatory, litigation and advisory services to clients spanning every segment of the energy space, from the extraction, marketing and delivery of fuel sources, to power generation and associated waste mitigation, to distribution and retail delivery, to the development, construction and closure of energy facilities. Clients turn to us for experienced guidance at each unique phase of project development.
We also assist energy companies and their customers in the development and execution of sophisticated financing, tax, renewable portfolio, fuel, siting and joint venture strategies, as well as in the maintenance and commercialization of their intellectual property and trade secret assets. And we represent energy industry participants in complex environmental and commercial litigation, and in a variety of permitting, enforcement and regulatory proceedings before state and federal agencies.
Our team also has a significant bench of experienced attorneys who regularly handle large, quick-turnaround due diligence and discovery projects for our energy clients.
Industry Team Contact
Patrick R. Northam
Industry Team Leader
Explore recent examples of our work to get a sense of who we are and what we're capable of.
- $3 billion divestiture of power generation assets and associated businesses and operations
- $150 million divestiture of a natural gas trading business
- $200 million acquisition of a natural gas sales and transportation business
- $2 billion project financing of a power plant and syndication of loan to approximately 50 banks
- Approximately $860 million sale of coal company assets
- $250 million multi-tranche credit facility for a coal mining company
- $25 million sale of coal mining assets
- $24 million issuance of industrial revenue bonds in coal company financing
- Coal lease and supply arrangement involving 55 million tons of coal reserves
- $42 million sale and leaseback of coal mining property and processing facilities
- $140 million acquisition of coal mining assets
- $25 million sale of equity interests of coal mining companies
- $11 million coal mining asset purchase and $30 million related financing
- $94 million acquisition of coal mining assets
- Approvals before state regulatory agencies involving:
- Utility financings totaling more than $1 billion
- Establishment of utility regulatory assets for accounting treatment totaling more than $200 million
- Utility rate cases totaling more than $200 million
- Utility merger approvals involving combined assets in the value of billions of dollars
Our latest thinking on the legal issues impacting the energy industry.
Browne v. Artex Oil Part II: No Production Reports? No Problem.
July 16, 2021 | Publications
 In what should be the final chapter of a lease-busting lawsuit  that started in 2014, the Fif...
SCOTUS: Pipeline’s Eminent Domain Trumps Sovereign Immunity Claims
July 9, 2021 | Publications
On June 29, 2021, the Supreme Court issued a significant decision for companies that hold a certific...
Pennsylvania DEP Official: Regulation of Utility-Scale Solar Projects in Pennsylvania is a Local Mat...
June 23, 2021 | Publications
At a virtual Solar Energy Symposium hosted by Penn State’s Center for Agriculture and Shale Law on...
Kentucky PSC Chairman Comments on Solar Development Siting Issues
May 18, 2021 | Publications
Kentucky Public Service Commission Chairman Michael Schmitt provided some very candid commentary abo...
Gilbert Sanchez v. Smart Fabricators – Fifth Circuit Redefines “Seaman” Status
May 18, 2021 | Publications
In a potentially significant ruling for the offshore oil and gas industry, the United States Court o...
Kentucky DOR Provides Guidance for Taxation of Solar Energy Equipment
April 30, 2021 | Blogs
While the development of solar and alternative energy continues to grow in the United States, with i...